This role revolves around the development of on-board core software modules which form a key part of VP’s industrial IoT platform – VPVision. New or modified modules will have to be generated either on the fly to support customer trials/demonstrations or carefully and meticulously to support VP’s long term product development goals. The person will relish the opportunity to create a data acquisition and analysis solution which is optimised to work in conjunction with a cloud platform, works independently and enjoys solving technical problems on complex systems.
Candidates must be eligible to work in the UK. Candidates already in the UK and working under a Tier 2 Sponsorship will also be considered.
Responsibilities and Activities:
• Develop and test application code to support new applications with external customers and internal research and development objectives;
• Based on customer feedback and business needs, collaborate with other domain experts and contribute to the creation of a long-term technology roadmap;
• Appraise new technology and assess its suitability for application within VPVision;
• Own the development and delivery of core-software modules in line with the technology roadmap;
• Work with the hardware team to get new features up and running;
• Work within cost targets, trade-off different options to ensure the most suitable approach is taken to feature development;
• Test, Validate and Release software updates in line with best practice;
• Create core-software modules that enable geo-fencing, edge computing capabilities and other new modules that support the product scaling up to 1000’s of deployments;
• Develop OTA update mechanisms to reliably update remotely deployed devices;
• Develop tools and interfaces for end users and engineers;
• Build and deploy Linux kernels and bootloaders on the embedded devices;
• Develop tools that used in production and enable software uploads, configuration control and testing;
• Ensure robust configuration management is in place and the health of deployed assets is well understood and continually monitored;
• Develop, deploy and run the device-side cloud infrastructure required to remotely update and maintain fielded equipment;
• Ensure requirements for security, documentation and regulations are well understood within your domain, are complied with, updated and maintained as necessary;
• Visit vehicles/assets to participate in the integration of new equipment during the trial and production phases;
• Provide remote diagnostics to identify the root cause and corrective action of faulty fielded equipment;
• Help scope out and estimate tasks, participate in the creation of project plans, report on progress, risks and opportunities.
Skills and Experience
• Excellent problem-solving skills. Takes ownership of problems and sees them through to a conclusion;
• Strong verbal, written, mathematical and spatial reasoning skills;
• Organised, data-driven and an analytical mind;
• Motivated, enthusiastic and interested by the industry and products;
• Passionate about attention to detail and delivery of high quality content;
• Proficiency using C;
• Basic capability using Linux command line tools;
• Experience using Git or other types of source control.
• Automotive industry experience;
• Experience at deploying applications on remote devices;
• Experience with building and deploying Linux kernels and bootloaders;
• Experience with IoT technologies, such as MQTT and TCP/IP networks;
• Proficiency in Python or Java;
• Knowledge of CAN, J1939 or CANOpen protocols;
• Experience with relational databases and SQL;
• Familiarity with AWS/cloud providers.
Vantage Power explicitly rejects any obligations, conditions or terms and conditions attached to any CV, profile or email. All agreements are subject to contract.