As Vantage Power approaches low rate initial production, a skilled and experienced manufacturing engineer is required to help establish the strategy, processes and setup of the vehicle installation team. The manufacturing engineer is expected to have a broad product knowledge and work across the business, including with the design and integration team, to ensure ease of installation is considered from the start. The majority of the manufacturing engineer’s time will be spent supporting installation of the hybrid retrofit product in to vehicles, providing the necessary infrastructure, tools, training and documentation to set up the line and then optimise it for quality, throughput and cost.
The manufacturing engineer can expect to have a strong influence over the creation of the vehicle installation line and the role out of the first projects to third party installers. Whilst the installation team is being established the role performed by the manufacturing engineer will be diverse and they will get exposure to a wide range of responsibility throughout the product lifecycle. In time the role will become more focused as more projects enter a production phase, requiring greater attention to 6 sigma, lean production and other continuous improvement projects. Aside from the vehicle installation, which will form the majority of the role, there is also scope for the manufacturing engineer to participate in construction and assembly of major components that form part of the hybrid driveline.
Travel will be required for this role when projects are being transitioned in to production, with approx. 50/50 time split between the engineering site in Greenford and the Installation facility based within the UK.
Responsibilities and Activities:
• Lead engineer for New Product Introduction within the manufacturing department covering vehicle installation;
• Work very closely with the design and integration team and the appointed bus installation company;
• Develop and approve process and installation instructions;
• Develop and implement installation, jigs, fixtures and tooling methodologies;
• Analyse and influence product design, manufacture, assembly and installation from concept through to production, apply best practice and ensure manufacturability;
• Conduct manufacturability, FMEA and variation analysis to ensure that the installation process capability matches the requirements;
• Develop and drive ‘lean’ processes and ensure the installation line is continually developing to improve efficiency;
• Conduct Production Readiness Reviews, generate and deliver plans to ensure production readiness;
• Get “hands on” with the installation line to understand problems, apply lean principles and resolve quality issues;
• Ensure non-conformities are effectively managed and corrective actions are approved, implemented and tracked through to implementation;
• Provide training to other members of the team in areas of process and procedure, best practice, design for installation;
• Apply engineering skills and knowledge to third party manufacturing partners if required;
• Develop Quality Inspection checklists at different stages of production to help ensure product quality;
• Log all equipment that requires calibration and implement and maintain a process to keep these in calibration.
Skills and Experience
• Practical experience of manufacturing facilities and processes;
• Driving license and a willingness to travel;
• Good knowledge in lean production, continuous improvement and industrial engineering;
• Experience of new product introduction programs and management of change;
• Excellent problem solving skills. Takes ownership of problems and sees them through to a conclusion;
• Strong written and verbal communication skills are essential;
• Experience in creating processes and procedures;
• The candidate needs to be structured, organised, logical and data driven;
• Motivated, enthusiastic and interested by our products;
• Passionate about attention to detail and delivery of high quality content;
• Multi faceted, multi talented individual willing to perform a diverse role.
• Experience working in automotive, plant, large engines or the bus industry;
• Experience creating a production capability from the ground up;
• 6 sigma / lean training;
• An appreciation of health and safety in garages/depots;
• Experience of leading complex manufacturing projects.
Vantage Power explicitly rejects any obligations, conditions or terms and conditions attached to any CV, profile or email. All agreements are subject to contract.
Get in Touch
Unit 7 Greenford Park, Ockham Drive, Greenford London UB6 0FD
+44 (0)208 8130 850