Senior EV Thermal Systems Engineer, Electrification R&D Mechanical Systems
You will be part of the Electrification R&D Mechanical Systems Team working on commercial vehicle electrification projects. You will report directly to the Engineering Manager and your project lead. Achieving your goals will be challenging but immensely rewarding, and you will be expected to demonstrate a high degree of initiative, autonomy, perseverance and dedication.
Candidates must be eligible to work in the UK. Candidates already in the UK and working under Tier 2 Sponsorship will also be considered.
Responsibilities and Activities
As part of R&D project teams you be responsible for design and implementation of cooling and heating systems for commercial electric vehicles in particular powertrain systems and components. This will include both work on R&D vehicles as well as bench level development.
- Schematic creation
- 1D simulations of systems for flow, pressure drop, heat transfer and energy efficiency
- Layout design of systems including fluid component specifications, physical implementation and material choice
- Design and setup of bench tests for new component thermal performance verification
- Vehicle systems heating/cooling specification and component sourcing working with suppliers
- New manifold component design, flow control design and 3D heat transfer simulation
- Provide input to project planning and report outs on progress
Skills and Experience
- Mechanical Engineering Honours Degree or similar;
- A solid command of a 3D CAD modelling software preferably Siemens NX;
- Confident grasp of 1D simulation tools preferably MATLAB/Simulink or Amesim;
- Experience with electric vehicle powertrain systems preferably in the commercial vehicle sector;
- Solid understanding of heat transfer and fluid mechanics principles;
- High attention to detail and an enthusiasm for electric vehicles;
- Experience with thermal performance testing of components;
- Capable at data analysis, preferably using MATLAB;
- Basic proficiency in CFD and heat transfer simulation.
- Confident grasp of drawing for manufacture and GDT, preferably to BS8888;
- Experience working with heat pump or refrigeration systems, and knowledge of relevant environmental regulations;
- Experience working with two phase heat transfer systems and modelling thereof;
- Experience working on HV systems;
- Experience designing lithium-ion battery systems;
- General workshop/assembly skills.